Do I need a library account?
- If you want to borrow our print collection then you will need a library account.
- See the details on our borrowing page.
How do I access library eBooks, online journals and streaming videos?
- Log-in with your Humber username and password.
- Access is seamless to library article or eBook links found in Blackboard courses.
- A research chat and SMS live chat service provided by Ontario Colleges Library Service (OCLS) and participating Ontario college libraries.
- Use the service by clicking the askON button found on the bottom right of each library page. You can chat or text 647-499-7565.
- Hours are Mon–Thurs: 11am-10pm and Fri-Sun: 11am-5pm.
- You may be connected to someone outside of Humber but they can help you with your research needs.
- At the end of your chat you can print a transcript of your session or request it by email.
- Your email address is not stored and will not be used for any other purpose.
Does the Library have my course textbook?
Where are the textbooks shelved in the Library?
- North: they are found behind the periodicals shelves.
- Lakeshore: they are in the Reserves area by the circulation desk.
- See the floor plans. for details.
How long is the loan period for a textbook?
- Loan periods for textbooks and regular books can be viewed from our policies page.
What is the difference between a hold and a reserve?
- A hold is a request to be the next person to loan a book or other physical item from the library. Students can place a hold on an item even when it is currently on loan, so that they will be next to borrow it when the item is returned.
- A reserve is an item that has been specifically set aside in the library for your course, by your instructor. Reserve items cannot be loaned and are meant to be borrowed in the library, for a short period of time (1 or 2 hours).
How do I place a hold and/or renew books?
- See the help videos for details.
- A confirmation email will be sent to your preferred email address listed noted in MyHumbe.
- Add firstname.lastname@example.org to your safe-senders list.
Where do I return my books or videos when the library is closed?
- The North library has an after hours drop-off box on the 3rd Floor of the LRC and in the path connecting the LRC to the main campus.
- The Lakeshore library has an after-hours drop-off box on the wall to the right of the main library doors.
My professor has something for me to read - where do I find it?
- You can search the catalogue for your class readings. Search by instructor, course number or name.
- Get the reading at the circulation desk. Most reserves will have an hourly loan period, increased fine amounts and must remain in the library.
- See the Find class readings tutorial that walks you through the process.
Can I borrow a laptop from the library?
- Yes. For details on borrowing and returning laptops, please review the laptop loan policy.
Where can I or my group go to study?
- Book a room for your group online.
- You can book up to 1 week in advance.
- The time limit is 2 hrs/day per group.
What do I use to log on to a Humber computer?
- Humber and Guelph-Humber students: log-in with your Humber username and password.
- Your original password is emailed upon registration. Passwords expire one year from the last time they are changed.
Are there guides on using the MyHumber site?
I’m a Humber student/staff, how do I log on to the secure wireless network?
- Click on the myWi-Fi @Humber icon and then choose “connect to network”.
- For smartphones: select PEAP under EAP method and MSCHAPV2 phase 2.
- Type in your Humber user ID and password to connect.
- For more details, go to the Humber ITS secure wireless page.
I’m a visitor to Humber, how do I connect to the Wi-Fi?
- Click on the "Welcome to Humber" icon.
- Open any web browser.
- Select “Guest Wireless Access”, not the myWi-Fi option.
- For more details, go to the Humber ITS wireless page.
Where are the printers/multifunction devices?
- North: The printers are on the 3rd and 4th floors of the LRC building.
- Lakeshore: The printers are on the lower level and in the Copy Center on the main floor.
How much does it cost to print and/or copy?
- Students receive 2500 print credits per semester. Black & White costs 5 credits and Colour costs 20 credits.
- See the ITS printing page for more details.
How can I purchase additional printer credits to add to my account?
Can I copy in colour at the Library?
- North: Yes. There are colour multifunction devices on the 3rd and 4th floors.
- Lakeshore: Yes. There is a colour multifunction device in the Copy Centre on the main floor.
- The cost is 20 credits per page.
Can I scan a document and email it to myself?
- Yes. You don't need to log in since there is no charge for emailing.
Can I print using my own paper?
- No. Students are not allowed to use their own paper.
- The paper used in the college printers is tested and approved by Xerox to work on these machines.
- The use of paper from another source can damage the printer's drum and the rollers.
Is there a fax machine at the North campus?
- Yes. Find it at the Academic and Career Success Centre on the 1st floor in the LRC.
How do I donate books or videos to the library?
The Library will consider accepting donations that:
- Fall within the scope of the Library's collection policy and align with Humber’s academic programs.
- Do not duplicate materials already held.
- Are of unique and/or significant value to the collection.
- Are in good physical condition.
Email the Collections & Technical Services Librarian at email@example.com for details or receipts for income tax purposes.